Department of Music and Dance
Areas of Specialization: ethnomusicology, popular music, African music, Community Development
- Dr. Maurice Amateshe (2018), "Communication and Identity in Popular Music Video in Kenya: Suggesting Value Addition for Archiving and Returns" Paper presented during the 1st International Conference on Refocusing Music and other Performing Arts for Sustainable Development held on 25th-26th October 2018 in Kabarak University, Nakuru Kenya.
Dr. Maurice Amateshe (2017). (Book Chapter). Kenyan Musicians: A Biography. Kenya Year Book Board, Permanent Presidential Music Commission, (Page 211-232) Vol 2, ISBN No. 789966-194770. Nairobi, Kenya
- Higher Education Leadership and Governance in the Development of the Creative and Cultural Industries in Kenya. Collaborative Authorship: Amateshe, M, Akuno, E, Ondieki, D, Barasa P. L, Otieno, S. P, Wamuyu C, M Codesria (Council for the Development of Social Science Research in Africa, Dakar) ISBN: 978-2-86978-717-9
- Dr. Maurice Amateshe& Dr. Donald OndiekiOtoyo (2013).The Benga Phenomenon: Unmasking a Relentless Music Genre in Kenya, Paper from proceedings of the 6th Ethnomusicology Symposium, University of Dar es Salaam (Currently in press).
- Dr. Maurice Amateshe 2012, Fadhili Williams, A Biography of Kenyan Musicians Vol 2 (currently in Press with the Permanent Presidential Music Commission)
- A Literary Guide to ‘The River and the Source’ published by East African Educational Publishers.
- Dr. Maurice Amateshe: Music Policy in Kenya: Shifting Grounds and Looking the Wrong Way. Paper presented the first IFRA-TUK Music and Dance Research in East Africa on 12th and 13th October 2016 at Alliance Francaise, Nairobi Kenya
"Own" Musics or "Other" Musics: Proposing the Application of the Praxial Philosophy in Music Education Choices and Practice for Learners. Paper presented at the Arts, Education and Community Engagement Trialogue 1 conference organized by the Technical University of Kenya at the Godown Arts Center, Nairobi, 20th February 2015
- Dr. Maurice Amateshe, Facilitator, English Verse and Elocution, Kenya Music Foundation Workshop for Secondary Schools, Kiambu County. 26th-28th March 2014, Kanunga High School.
- Dr. Maurice Amateshe, "Constitutionalism, Educationalism and National Visions: An Edict of School Principals Role in Constitutional Implementation and Vision 2030. A Paper Presented at the Annual General Meeting of Taita Taveta County Secondary Schools Principals, 2nd April 2014, Hotel Green Park, Taveta.
- Dr. Maurice Amateshe, TheBenga Phenomenon: Unmasking a Relentless Genre, 6th Ethnomusicology Conference, University of Dar es Salaam, 24th-26th July 2013.
- Dr. Maurice Amateshe, The Music Video as a potential medium in Archiving and Promoting Rural Talent in Kenya, Permanent Presidential Music commission Conference (PPMC), Mombasa, 16th-24th April, 2012
- Dr. Maurice Amateshe, Popular Music and Popular Music Video as an Archive; Makerere University, October 20-22-2011.
- In The Name of Heaven: The Youth Factor in the Subcultural Identities and Representations in the Worship Musics and Dances in the Church Movement in Kenya. A paper presented at the representation in music and music representation 2nd international symposium, october 19-22, Istanbul Technical University, Turkey.
- Dr. Maurice Amateshe. “ Sustainable Addiction Recovery: Suggesting a Pragmatic Approach to Treatment and Aftercare.” Paper Presented at the NACADA-ISSUP International Conference on Drug Demand Reduction held on 10th-14th December 2018, Kenyatta International Convention Center, Nairobi.
- Dr. Maurice Amateshe Delegate ACCES Music In Africa Conference-Collaboration, Exchange, Showcase. The Kenya National Theater. 15th-17th November 2018.
- Dr. Maurice Amateshe, "Sounding together: Some Thoughts in Music Education Going Forward. The 1st PASMAE East African Regional Conference held on 17th October 2014, Nairobi, Kenya
- Sounding Together: Some Thoughts in Music Education Going Forward. Paper Presented at the 1st Pan African Society for Musical Arts Education (PASMAE) Eastern Africa Regional Conference, Kenyatta University Conference Center, 17th October, 2014
- Culture as a Strategy for National Integration: Thinking a Way Forward-paper presented at the Kenyatta University Culture Week 2014 Seminars, 22nd October 2014
- Dr. Maurice Amateshe, Co-organizer and Chair of Session, 1st Stakeholders Conference on Mapping Kenya’s Creative and Cultural Industries, A UNESCO/IFCO sponsored project through the African Cultural Regeneration Institute, Kenya Institute of Education, 29th-30th 2012
- Dr. Maurice Amateshe, Research Partner, African Cultural Regeneration Institute, Fieldwork in Pokot County, Samburu County and Tharaka County, 18th-28th July, 2012.
- The Contemporary Kenyan Hip Hop Culture: A study of Origins, Identities and Style 1992-1010 (PhD research project)
- Cultural Particulars versus Psycho-Physical Particulars: The Case of African Music Performances (Individual Research)
- When the Video Camera Came to The Village: An Examination of Meaning, Authenticity and Realism in The Music Video of Kenyan Popular Music (Individual Research)
- Practicing Community Theater for Health Education: A Proposed Handbook for Teachers (Proposal to link with the Ministry for Public Health still being worked on)
- Dr. Maurice Amateshe-Chair and Morderator of Sessions on Research and Training Sub-theme- NACADA-ISSUP International Conference, 10th-14th December, Kenyatta International Convention Center, Nairobi
- International Music Symposium on Africa as a Cradle for Holistic and Integrated Approach to Music 20th-3rd November 2002, Kenyatta University
- Pan African Society for Musical Arts and Education (PASMAE) conference: Solutions for Music Education in Africa, 5th-11th July 2003, Kisumu Kenya
Seminars attended (Co-facilitator)
- National Working Group (Kenya) on Higher Education Leadership and Governance, LMS Guest House and Conference Center, Milimani Road Nairobi, 23rd September, 2013.
- Dr. Maurice Amateshe, BBC Value of Airtime Workshop with International Broadcast Consultants Nik Goodman and John Simons held at Fairview Hotel Nairobi 13th-15th 2015.
- Dr. Maurice Amateshe, National Kenya Music Foundation Adjudicators and Trainers Workshop, Ministry of Education Science and Technology, Tom Mboya Labor College, Kisumu, 28th April-2nd May 2014.
- The Kenya Music Foundation Workshop 12th -16th March 2010, Kenya Institute of Mass Communication
- The Kenya National Drama Workshop, 4th-10th January 2010 Kasarani Sports Grounds Drama and Music workshops facilitation in Bureti District, Thika District, Maua District, Mwingi District, Kericho District, Kakamega District, Kenyatta High school Mwatate (2006-2009)
Dr. Maurice Amateshe, Member
1. Pan african Society for Music Education (PASMAE)
2. International Council for Traditional Music (ICTM)
3. International Society for Substance Abuse Professionals (ISSUP)
Last Updated on Thursday, 25 April 2019 11:24