Fashion and Design
The department of Fashion Design and Marketing programmes of study are designed to train at the undergraduate, masters and PhD levels. The FDM programme offers high quality and dynamic training focusing on fashion design, apparel production, quality control and technical skills to enhance local and international trade in textile products. The programmes are designed to assist individuals to become self-reliant by training them for self-employment and diverse opportunities in the textile and fashion industries. The curriculum also encourages entrepreneurship so that its graduates can contribute to the development of the economy through creation of employment as well as innovate solutions that can be monetized. It is envisaged that the graduates will be marketable not only in the public sector, but also in the private and development sectors like Non-Governmental Organizations (NGO’s), Corporates and creative industries. The objectives of the programmes are to:
- Provide students with knowledge and skills in the area of Fashion Design and Marketing.
- Offer training that serves as a foundation for higher learning in the discipline.
- Train professionals who can effectively meet the job market demands in the fashion design industry.
- Embrace and use digital tools to enhance fashion marketing, styling and fashion.
- Empower students to create and innovate solutions that address emerging issues in fashion and Textiles.
The FDM department aims at producing leaders and change makers in the Fashion and Textiles industry across the region.
Since fashion is dynamic, graduates of these programmes may get employment in many creative related industries. These include:
- Fashion design firms
- Garment manufacturing firms
- Interior design firms
- Research centres
- Garment quality inspection
- Textile marketing
- Creative industry in styling, makeups and photography.
- Film and related industries in costume design
- Digital marketing, e-commerce and merchandising in Fashion related products
- The graduates can establish their own businesses and create employment opportunities for others.
FASHION DESIGN AND MARKETING ACADEMIC STAFFS
By enrolling in our department you will be taught and mentored by a qualified and committed team of 11 staff members. These lecturers comprise 1 Professor and 10 PhD
holders with research interests in various fields. The staff members have degrees in the following areas of specialisation:
- Fashion Design
- Family and Consumer Sciences
- Textile Science
- Community Resource Management
- Fine Art
- Home Economics Education
- Digital Marketing and Entrepreneurship
The Fashion Design and Marketing degree will help you to develop the skills related to fashion, marketing and textile industry; including:
- Creative, analytical and innovative abilities
- A regional and global perspective Fashion design and Marketing
- The most current knowledge of industry-based technology for clothing and textile production
The staff members are:
- Prof. Keren Gacheri Mburugu
- Dr. Dorothy M. Riungu
Dr. Onditi Ouma Anam
- Dr. Lydia Nkatha Kinuthia
- Ms. Veronica Njonde
Wamuyu M K
Ms. Esther Ondiso Andebe
- Lucy Mugambi
The department of Fashion Design and Marketing offers high quality and dynamic training focusing on fashion design, apparel production, quality control and technical skills to enhance local and international trade in textile products. It is designed to assist individuals to become self reliant by training them for self-employment and diverse opportunities in the textile industry.